At Harper Road Osteopaths / Union Therapies, we are all committed to protecting and respecting the privacy of anyone coming to use our osteopathy, massage and counselling services.
This statement explains when and why we collect personal data and how we use it and the conditions under which we disclose it to others.
By using our services you are agreeing to be bound by this policy.
If you have any questions regarding this Policy please send them to Victoria Diamond at firstname.lastname@example.org
Next Review: 26/04/2019
Author: Victoria Diamond
Personal Details and Consent
1. We need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment.
2. Your requesting treatment and our agreement to treat you constitutes a contract.
3. You are free to refuse to provide the information we request, but without this information we may not have enough data for us to create a full diagnosis and provide the best treatment.
4. Because we work in the medical field we have a ‘Legitimate Interest’ in collecting the data because without it we would not be able to do our jobs effectively and safely.
5. We also have a ‘Legitimate Interest’ in providing you with appointment confirmations, appointment reminders, and aftercare advice.
6. Having a ‘Legitimate Interest’ means that we do not need to ask you for specific consent.
7. We do, however, need to ask you for specific consent to send you newsletters, information about events, or any other information that could be construed as marketing.
8. We do not do any direct marketing at the moment and have no plans to, but we have an ‘Opt in’ box on our case history forms allowing you to give consent to receive this material if we ever decide to do this. You can withdraw this consent at any time.
Personal Details; what we keep and for how long
We have a legal obligation to retain patient notes under our Code of Practice dictated by the GOsC for a minimum of 8 years and children’s notes should be kept until their 25th birthday.
Our patient notes must include:
1. Patients personal details
2. Any problems or symptoms reported by the patient
3. Relevant medical and family history
4. Clinical findings
5. Information and advice provided
6. Information given to the patient about risks of treatment
7. Records of Consent (we have forms for consent to Dry Needling and intimate area examination and treatment, Chaperone requests) and we seek ongoing verbal consent for all other treatment, which we record in your file)
8. Treatment provided, reaction to treatment and ongoing evaluation of findings.
9. Any correspondence about the patient (with consent requested and recorded) with other health professionals.
10. Whether anyone else was present in the consultation.
Personal Details; where and how we store your data:
1. We store all our case histories on paper at the moment.
2. We keep these in a locked filing cabinet in a locked treatment room, which, when closed is guarded by a security guard at The Artworks and a number of CCTV cameras on the site. The key to the cabinet is kept safe.
3. Your name, address, email address, date of birth and telephone numbers are additionally stored on a booking system called Cliniko.
6. When we no longer need to store your data in Cliniko (after our statutory obligation to hold data for 8 years passes), we will delete your records.
7. For patients who have been prescribed a program of exercise, we sometimes use a system called RehabMyPatient, which stores your name and email address (for the purposes of being able to send you the exercise program) and no other data. This data is held securely. RehabMyPAtient does use GoogleAnalytics to collect anonymized data which they use to improve the site. From this they record: the computer you used to access the site, your general location, how long you stayed on the site. The details are available in their Privacy Statement available here: www.rehabmypatient.com/gdpr. Their data is stored in a Digital Ocean data center in London, who are GDPR compliant.
Controlling your Personal Details
You have rights concerning the information we hold about you:
1. You can request a copy of all the data we hold about you. Upon request we will provide you scanned copies of the personal data we hold.
2. If you change your name, address or email address, please contact us so that we can keep our data up to date.
3. You have the right to request erasure of your personal data that we are not legally obligated to keep for a minimum of 8 years.
4. We do not sell your information to third parties.
5. We do not share your data with third parties for marketing or any other purpose, without prior consent by you (for example sharing your data with other healthcare professionals)
6. We do not gather sensitive personal data such as political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, sexual orientation or criminal convictions)
Data breaches and Complaints
1. If you wish to raise a complaint about how we handle your personal data, you can contact us directly and we will investigate the matter.
2. If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal information not in accordance with the law, you can raise your complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). https://ico.org.uk/
Our osteopathy practice is conveniently located just a 5 minute walk from either the Northern Line exit or the Bakerloo Line exit of Elephant and Castle Tube station and a less than 10 minute walk away from Borough Tube station in London. We are in a small parade of shops right opposite Falmouth Road GP's practice.
Please note that although the treatment room is accessible, the toilets are unfortunately no longer wheelchair accessible.
Harper Road Osteopaths (formerly Union Therapies)
36 Harper Road
London, SE1 6AD
Moving out on 16th December 2018 from :
Unit 21, The Artworks
Elephant & Castle
Harper Road Osteopaths (formerly Union Therapies)